Translate

6.07.2012

Dead Snow


I've visited two concentration camps, Dachau and Auschwitz. Before entering both sites, it was anticipated there would be tears of deep remorse, a small connection between past and presence that would allow us as visitors to feel some tiny portion of the pain and suffering of its captives.  My mother speculated feeling a spiritual presence. Possibly a negative one. With that in mind I went in paying extra close attention to my feelings along with the atmosphere around me.
Dachau

Despite the location, one funny thing did happen while in Dachau. My oldest brother Adam who is approximately 6'3" 250lbs was wearing a Punisher t-shirt under an opened jacket. Some wide eyed little boy kept starring at my brother until he mustard up enough courage to walk up and ask, "Hey mister, are you the real Punisher?"

Auschwitz

ARBEIT MACHT FREI   |   WORK SETS YOU FREE
First testing site of 'Zyklon B' 
Execution site/memorial
Women's washroom after trial/before execution

The victims were to remove all prosthetics, braces, 
spectacles and any other personal belongings.


The only part of the tour that truly brought tears to my eyes
 Children's shoes filled multiple rooms


Being completely honest, I've never been to a place that felt so completely empty and absent of any spiritual presence. This lead me to the idea that if I had suffered in such a place and then died, the moment my spirit separated from its body I would have fled and never returned. I would have sought refuge, peace, comfort and family. I would be anywhere but here. These people (or spirits of people) are gone. Presently this place is just earth and buildings. All that is left is a memory handed down from generation to generation. The holocaust is not in this place, but in us.






1 comment:

Elder & Sister Walters said...

This was truly inspiring. The words the wonderful photography that took me back to that day. Thank you for your insightful artical.